This is a quick bug fix release to get around the problem MiniEdit is having parsing the version number in the recent Mininet.  Mininet reports 2.1.0+ as the version number which MiniEdit fails to understand as a number.  So the link below should get around that.

Download MiniEdit here.

24 Responses to MiniEdit

1. siddu says:

• gregorygee says:

To run it, you must have Mininet installed. MiniEdit is a GUI frontend to Mininet (

• siddu says:

Thanks for the reply. I know that but when I giving command like
        ” sudo ./ –topo linear,3″ it says ” sudo: ./ command not found”

• gregorygee says:

You probably did set the script to be executable.

chmod 755

• richa says:

hello siddu,
      Could u solve the problem???…I am too stuck in it,I m nt able to run miniedit,when i type the command “sudo ~/mininet/examples/ or sudo python ./mininet/examples/” the output comes as “Tkinter.Tcl errror: no display name and $ no DISPLAY enviroment variable”.I humbly request you to help me in solving this problem

2. siddu says:

Why does all controllers in multiple controllers are at same port 6633. Is it ok?

3. rajesh says:

how to export the topology to python script that we can use mn –custon –topo toponame?
    I don’t why mininet tell toponame is inalid ? Does somebody once exported the script out ?

• gregorygee says:

Currently MiniEdit doesn’t have the feature to export as a Custom Topology script. It has the ability to export as a Mininet Python script though. But I’ll add that feature to the list.

4. Mr Gregory, i think the sflow and netflow things are missing when we export the topology into Mininet python script,
    or maybe i made some mistakes

• gregorygee says:

No, I haven’t added every feature, such as Netwflow and SFlow, to the Export capability. I can add it to the list for the next release.

• umberto says:

I configured NetFlow a Sflow (on different ports) on a very simple network (3 hosts + 1 Sw + ctrl) but I received packet only from Sflow… Is netflow still supported in the last version?

• gregorygee says:

Miniedit does not implement sFLow and Netflow itself. It just configured Open vSwitch to the parameters you set. I did find that you will need a new enough version of Open vSwitch that support these featured for it to work. I know that in Ubuntu 12.04, the Open vSwitch that comes with it does not work. But if you install Mininet, you can upgrade to a version of Open vSwitch that does support these features. You can upgrade your Open vSwitch using the Mininet installer by specifying the version of Open vSwitch you want.

mininet/utils/ -V 2.0.0

You can run this on a system you already installed Mininet on. This also assumes you installed Mininet using the latest from GITHUB. Also, watch out for firewall settings. When I initially added the sFlow and Netflow settings into MiniEdit, I had no end of troubles with PC firewalls getting in the way.

• gregorygee says:

Just for some extra tools. The following were CLI tools that I started in the same VM that I was running MiniEdit in. This bypassed any PC firewall problems to prove packets were flowing.

sFlow collector CLI tool. Started as ‘sflowtool -p 6343’

Netflow collector CLI tool. Started in foreground ‘flowd -d’. Note that the default port for this collector is 12345.

Hope these help troubleshoot that sFlow and Netflow are working at least. In MiniEdit, set the collector IP addresses to be and if running the above tools on the same system.

sFlow and Netflow configuration was introduced in MiniEdit

5. umberto rampa says:

I have trouble in running netflow on the destination IP no packets are received. On the countrary Sflow works correctly (I see packets via tcpdump). I made some mistake?

6. Nur Faizin says:

I just set bandwith of links and export as py script, but when i run it raise an error :

“Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “”, line 59, in
    File “”, line 34, in myNetwork
    net.addLink(h1, s1, link=TCLink , **h1s1)
    File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mininet/”, line 287, in addLink
    TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument ‘link’ ”

How to fix this problem?

• gregorygee says:

Yes, that’s a bug. In your exported script, find the line that is causing your problem. It should look something like this.
      net.addLink(s1, s2, link=TCLink , **s1s2)

Once you find it, change the link=TCLink to cls=TCLink.
      net.addLink(s1, s2, cls=TCLink , **s1s2)

I’ll fix in the next release.

7. Brayan says:

Hi I cannot run miniedit can you give instructions how to run it , what are the third party modules I need to import..

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/home/brenggo/mininet/examples/”, line 52, in
    from mininet.util import custom, customClass
    ImportError: cannot import name customClass

8. iyoga says:

Dear All,

I am wondering to connect among controller. I could not do it.
    Suggestions or comments are welcomed

• Gregory Gee says:

Not sure what you are asking here. Are you trying to get multiple SDN controllers to communicate with each other? If so, that is outside the scope of miniedit/mininet. Mininet just references an existing SDN controller. It is up to you to install and configure the controller you want.